Monday, October 19, 2009

"time out"

today i was put in 'time out' by my coach. yes, i was literally forced to sit down (albeit on the rolling bumper plate attached to the bar i was working with), stop talking, and think.

i had just failed at attempting a back squat pr. unfortunately i never recorded the break down of my CFT numbers from the last time i did it (shame on me!). not sure how that happened (probably a thought process like this: "i will DEFINITELY NOT forget THESE numbers, no way!"). i digress.

there i was pissed off and mad, putting all of my training, my progress, my level of fitness into this one lift. i had mentally put so much pressure on PR'ing that i set myself up to fail. at the bottom of the squat i had a brief (very brief!) moment where i panicked that everything was riding on breaking this number. fail.

my coach sat me down and brought me back to my senses. or at least as much of my 'senses' as a crossfitter has! what has my goal been during the last 3-4 months of training? to get stronger? increase my muscle mass? get faster? or 'simply' to be more FIT. be more fit. check.

feeling better, i went for my shoulder press. PR'd by 10#. i had regained confidence, took some of the pressure off and went for my deadlift. PR'd by 30#. coach bill was not out of a job at the end of the day. my CFT went up by 40#.

sometimes we need a time out. some good coaching. a slap in the face. focus, remember not to panick, go for it.

No comments: