Wednesday, October 14, 2009

hard work

every 3-day cycle i have my doubts that the workouts will challenge me or that i will do my best to challenge myself within the parameters of the workout. i am happy to report that every 'day 3' i find myself elated to be entering into rest day. it is an exhausting but amazing feeling to be spent.

funny, i've been corresponding with someone new to cf who can't believe the workouts are so short. the length of the wod doesn't even register with me anymore. the time is merely a reflection of goals hit or missed. 5 min brutal, 20 min brutal. today was the 5k run. another reflective moment: thinking back to my initial experiences with crossfit and wondering why someone would 'pay' to run a 5k as a class. duh. i venture to say there is NO WAY i could have run that 5k as fast as i did today without the group. pre-crossfit 5k's were never at that intensity, speed or effort that i put out today either. leisure and simply clocking miles were the name of the game.

today as i ran it was a run for my life. my legs throbbed, my chest was on fire and my mind was screaming to keep going. at 530am all i heard was the sound of my breath and my feet hitting the pavement. it was actually an amazing experience.

i am realizing that crossfit intimidates people not because of the workout itself - "can i complete 50 squats or not", it's the fear of yourself and your own potential. once you realize what you are capable of, you can't go back.

monday: row 5k, 22:16
tuesday: 10 x 100m hill sprints (45 sec rest) @ :12 each
today: run 5k, 20:18
finally got on track with zone blocks yesterday
yay. relief.

No comments: