Sunday, November 15, 2009

expect the unexpected.

CrossFit trains us for the unknown.

Sometimes we would all love to be able to look into our crystal ball and see exactly what is in store for us. "How will this decision affect me in 1 month?", "How will this idea pan out?", "What adversity will I be facing next week?". Would life be easier with this magic ability to forecast? Of course. Could we navigate our way around the mistakes and problems we see dead ahead? Most certainly.

However, this isn't our reality. Life is unpredictable and throws the unexpected at us. We have no control over how our decisions, steps and mis-steps will affect others. We can never grasp what domino affect they will produce. What we can control is our own reaction. Reaction is crucial.

This begs the question, "how do we get better at these reactions?" Learning to react not our of fear or reflex takes practice. Practice in enduring suffering we might encounter. Practice is crossfit. Everyday that we approach the WOD and prepare for "3, 2, 1...go", we prepare to suffer and to endure. The wod offers pain, temptation to quit, struggle, discomfort, and mental anguish. How I react to all of these affects my results.

CrossFit is the outlet for me to make my reaction process second nature. CrossFit teaches me to control my reactions and to overcome the unknown that presents itself everyday in my life. Mastery? Never. Practice? Yes please.

No comments: