Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Awareness & Hard Work

I am barely able to write this tonight after enduring what was "Murph" today. I realized after finishing that I coached myself to the edge. It felt unbelievably tough and coming in from the second run I could barely keep it together. Each workout affects us differently. However, giving 150% should not have felt so unfamiliar. That begs the question, am I not pushing myself most of the time. And yet another question, have I been unaware of this until now?!!

Awareness during the workout, all be it difficult, is critical. Most importantly, we have to be dialed in on the integrity of the movement. Spacing out and accepting questionable results is mediocrity. The same is true for the awareness of intensity. Unlike form which is objective for the most part: Did the hips go below 90 degrees and was there a lumbar curve etc., awareness of intensity is a gray area.

Ultimately, to get results, intensity is where it's at. Be aware if you are falling short of what you are truly capable of in this department. Your results will reflect this. Closing the gap on 'hard work' and 'everything you've got' is a challenge. But so is everything in CrossFit, right? Dig deep for it. Don't settle.

It is no surprise that CrossFit is a metaphor for life outside of workouts in almost every way. This is no exception. Don't go comatose in your life. Have awareness, be honest with yourself, take responsibility. Get the results you are looking for by going the extra mile...or 2.

1 comment:

Griffin M. said...

I really appreciate the idea of CrossFit being metaphorical for life outside the box. It makes perfect sense and applies a new meaning to what we do. I just hope no body's life is that painful! hahaha.